Thursday, November 20, 2008

11/20/08 - 9am Visit

I had to leave this morning at 5am to get home and take my nephew to school, so, I missed the Nurse Shift-Change, but made it back in-time for the 9am Visit. This is usually the most important time of the day because both the Trauma Team and Neurosurgical Teams are making their rounds. I say that it's the most-important because I can get all of the info straight from them and they can answer my questions/concerns.

First-off, Wendy's neck brace has been removed. To look at her, you'd think she had no issues. She was sitting-up and eating breakfast (with assistance) when I came in. Dr. Barry from the Trauma Team came-in to talk to me and said that she had not had a chance to read the M.R.I. from yesterday, yet. However, another member of her Team, Dr. Fisher, had gotten a minute to read it. GOOD, no... GREAT news... they were worried that Wendy might have suffered slight brain damage due to the arterial dissections in her carotid arteries. (Arteries tore, which slowed the blood flow to the brain, as well as the oxygen to the brain.) In extreme instances like that, it is called a Stroke, however, he said that Wendy did not have ANY signs of ischemic brain tissue. (Brain tissue that had been without oxygen and died.) He said, from his view, her brain looked normal, with the exception of the remaining blood from the previous Brain Bleed. (which will reabsorb on it's own.) He said that the Neurosurgeons would look at it from their area of expertise as well and they might see something, but he said everything looked normal to him.

OK, back to Dr. Barry. She had asked me if I had been told about the carotid dissections and I said "yes, but I have questions" because Laura, our current Nurse had mentioned that they were going to try and get her up and moving around. This concerned me because #1 - She has torn arteries that feed her brain. #2 - Sitting-up or moving around requires a higher blood flow rate and pressure in order to pump the blood vertically past the dissection and to her brain. So, why on earth would we want to make Wendy move!?!?!? Dr. Barry informed me that a typical patient in Wendy's condition has ONE dissection and they like to keep them moving around so that they don't get pneumonia, bed sores, etc. However, Wendy has two, which makes it MUCH more serious, so, they are going to keep Wendy in bed for now. She could see that I was concerned and asking a lot of questions so, she told me this ... which I don't think many people know ... The Med's Trauma Unit writes most of the papers that other Doctors use for Trauma situations and procedures across the country. They also see more injuries like Wendy's than any other hospital, so, they are VERY familiar with treating them successfully. (Yeah, the "successful" part of that was what I was looking to hear! hahaha) Also, something I have noticed here is that at any given time, there are TWO members of the Trauma Team and Two members of the Neurological Team that make decisions on treatments, so, it's not just ONE doctor or ONE surgeon that is consulted. Also, each nurse that comes-on for each shift has two patients. (Some may have three, but I have only seen two at a time.) This is radically different from some other locations because the patients practically get one-on-one attention.

Anyway, I am saying all of this because I know that friends and family members are watching this Blog and it's VERY easy to assume the worst. (Trust me, I have been there and back.) However, these people know their stuff and it's amazing watching what they do. Wendy's situation, albeit severe, is the least severe case in the Trauma Unit. We have been praying for the teenagers in the next couple of rooms on ventilators. Some are non-responsive to anything, except medication.

Wendy is really happy to get the neck brace off and is sleeping MUCH more comfortably than she has been able to. As soon as the NeuroSurgeons make their rounds, I'll get their take on yesterday's M.R.I. and update you.

I look like a Court Reporter sitting next to her bed typing. When Wendy is sleeping, I'm updating the Blog or doing some work remotely.

Talk to you soon,
Shawn

No comments: