They brought her back in to the room and she was lying flat, but awake and talking as usual. (They did not sedate her heavily.) I have not had a chance to speak directly to the doctors to find-out what they saw, but they ended-up going-ahead with the stints. They Stinted the Right Internal Carotid and the Right Vertibral Carotid. Tomorrow, they will stint the Left Internal Carotid. I do not yet know what this means as far as her release or recovery times. I have left a message for the doctors to call me and give me the scoop on what they saw and what the triple-stinting will mean for the immediate and foreseeable future. In order to do the Four Vessel Angiogram and stints, they have to make an incision about 3/16 long and enter the right Femoral Artery. (right upper thigh/groin) Then, they travel upwards through the artery and place the stint at the injury site. I'm not quite sure how they got the stint to the Vertibral Artery because it's MUCH smaller than the Internal and External Carotids. However, it's done, and she seems to be just fine. The reason that they could not do all stints at once is because of the incision to the femoral artery. It requires that you do not move for 3.5 hours after the surgery to avoid re-opening the wound and bleeding-out. (I actually had one of these back when I was 22 and I re-opened mine, which formed a hemotoma the size of a baseball in my groin ... NOT fun.) Wendy's head was hurting her from the medicine and not being able to eat all morning, so, I went to Memphis Pizza Cafe and got her some pizza and a salad. She ate that and they gave her two percocet to help with her head and get her to sleep. That way, she doesn't move for a while. The Nurse said that she cannot have anything to eat or drink after midnight, so, I'm going to make sure she has a good dinner and late night snack. That way, tomorrow will be a little easier to get through.
I know that this is not the news that we had hoped-for, but, they did not have to schedule surgery, since they were already in there. They went-ahead and got it done. We have one artery left to go and then, we'll be in the clear!
I will find-out everything I can from the Doctor's and as soon as I hear from them, I will post that, as well.
Talk to you soon,
Shawn
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment