Monday, November 24, 2008

11/24/08 - 1pm Visit

Wow!  This visit went SO good! Wendy was sitting-up and watching TV when I got there.  Her lunch tray had arrived, but she had not touched it. I opened it up to look at it and I honestly still don't know what it was!  It looked like a big slice of Quiche, but it was flat like a pizza, and smelled like fried chicken!  Craziness!  Needless to say, I told Wendy that I would go get her something else.

My friends Nenad and Tonya Lukic came down for a quick lunch visit.  Nenad works right up the street at St. Jude and is a computer geek like me!  Haha. They couldn't stay long because Nenad had to be back for a meeting, but Wendy was happy to see them.

After they left, I went and got Wendy a cheeseburger and fries!  Yes, not exactly health food, at least it was more-edible than what was on her lunch tray!  Hahaha. Wendy ate the cheeseburger and was working on the fries as I had to leave.  She's DEFINITELY getting stronger and back to her old self.

This weekend, her sister asked if there was any way that she could talk to Wendy,so, I thought I would try a quick-call while I was in the room with Wendy. She and her sister got to talk for a few minutes and you could tell that it helped them both to hear each other's voices.  Between the pain medication at night and interrupted sleep, Wendy is still having issues with her memory retention day-to-day. Don't worry Mom, Dad, and Sis!  I have told her that you ask about her EVERY day and that you want to come and visit her as soon as she is able.

As I was on my way out the door, Shannon, her Speech Therapist came-in on a follow-up visit.  She confirmed that the pain meds and interrupted sleep have a serious impact on memory retention but that should subside as soon as she gets home and can sleep in normal surroundings.

I made Wendy promise to eat all of her food because they had to put her on Sodium Phosphate, intravenously, to boost her Sodium levels.  She assured me that she would.

I'll see her again at 5pm and will update you all soon after!

-Shawn

No comments: